12 Misused English Words

1. Alcohol does not make you high but drunk.
Drugs make you high while alcohol makes you drunk , therefore, it is wrong to say you are high when you take alcohol

2. Still yet can't be together, therefore it is wrong to say "I apologized to him still yet he refused to forgive. It ought to be " I asked for forgiveness yet he didn't forgive me" or I asked for forgiveness still he didn't forgive me


3. Extreme end can't go together, you have to use them separately. E.g I went to the extreme end of the mountain, it ought to be "I went to the extreme of the mountain" or I went to the end of the road

4. IF can go with both present and past tense e.g if I see you I will greet you; if I saw you I would greet you

5. Every cannot be used for two things. When you use the word "every" , the noun that comes after it must be in singular form. E.g Every student likes the teacher; Every child must respect elderly people

6. Most words that have the word "E' becomes a verb e.g breath (noun) breathe (verb)=» bath(noun) bathe(verb) =» cloth (noun) clothe (verb)

7. Prefer ; when you use the word prefer, the next preposition that should follow should be "to and not "than" . I prefer Nokia to Blackberry not I prefer Nokia than Blackberry

8. You cannot forget what you can see. E.g I forget my pencil at home. It ought to be I left my pencil at home

9. You cannot say ''I enjoyed the party " but" I enjoyed myself at the party''

10.Always can go with present, past, and future tense It's correct to say -> He always keeps his promise.=»He always does what he says he
will do and He always went to club every saturday night

11. You discuss business with someone not you are discussing about business with someone

12. You don't use for with the word "Seek" it is wrong to say, " I am seeking for admission into the polytechnic but I am seeking admission into the polytechnic

Note : It's of no doubt that my write up will come with flaws so I stand to be corrected




Written By: Tosyne2much

1 comment:

Designed by Tunde Sanusi (Tuham)